Here are some guidelines to ensure that your skin is cared for after your waxing. The following reactions are quite common after waxing and are normal and temporary reactions. All should subside within 24hrs:
• Heat reaction
- Post treatment could be seen on the skin for several hours following your wax. This could be in the form of slight soreness, small bumps or redness of your skin. This varies person to person from a mild redness to a much stronger reaction such as hives
• Waxing aftercare Skin sensitivity advice
- Try to avoid very hot baths, showers, steam rooms, saunas and Jacuzzis for 24 hours
- Skin sensitivity to UV light. Please avoid sun-beds and sunbathing for 24 hours, as more intense burning could occur
- Avoid applying fake tan to your skin for 24 hours
- Don’t apply deodorant or anything perfumed for 24 hours
- Avoid wearing tight clothing, such as skinny jeans and tights for 24 hours
If the waxing aftercare advice given is followed your skin should return to normal within 24 hours. If any reaction is still present after this time, it may be an allergic reaction to the wax so please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any problems.
Advice for all areas bikini line waxing such as Hollywood and all body waxing, leg waxing, back waxing and chest waxing the following is advisable:
• Wear loose fitting clothing after the waxing session for 24 hours
• Gently exfoliate your skin 24-48 hours after your appointment
• Between waxing appointments exfoliate 3-4 times a week
• Exfoliating the skin using antibacterial body wash may help if the ingrown hairs are inflamed. Use one with a natural fragrance. Something with tea tree or essential oils will be advised, for example tea tree or peppermint. This can be applied with exfoliating mitts.
• Once the hair has started to grow back, usually around 3-4 weeks, we advise that you exfoliate every day, this will help all the hairs come to the surface straight away and avoid becoming ingrown
• Moisturise the area daily which will keep the skin supple and help new hairs to break through. Once again don’t use anything too perfumed
To maintain the best waxing results and keep on top of ingrown hairs, we would recommend regular waxing, about every 4-6 weeks. Avoid shaving the areas in between sessions as this will cause it to be more painful and the hair may be too strong or short or turn back into the skin causing ingrown hairs
If you are prone to waxing burns for any of the following reasons please notify your therapist before treatment, so we can use extra care while waxing.
• Recent sunburn or extreme sun exposure
• Very dry or dehydrated skin
• Areas of loose skin
• Extremely sensitive skins e.g. eczema and psoriasis
• Wax temperature (either to hot or cold)
• Certain waxing removal techniques
• For facial areas specifically
• Overuse of exfoliating products
• Overuse of Vitamin A or Retinol
• Extremely Sensitive skins
• Recent facials / peels (within the last 7 days)
• Recent facial aesthetics (within the last month)
If your therapist notices any marks in treatment they will advise you what has happened and offer the best aftercare. Sometimes the redness does not appear immediately and once you’re home you may notice this.
Waxing burn, bruising and patches of skin removal can sometimes happen due to the fact we are using hot wax to remove hairs which are made from the same substance as your skin – Keratin. Receiving burns during a waxing appointment is very rare. We always use the utmost caution by applying talcum powder to your skin before the green tea strip wax and waxing strips. For Harley aloe vera hot wax the procedure is slightly different, in that we would apply pre-oil before the wax is applied, but sometimes mishaps occur.
• Clean the area with cool water or a soothing cleanser such as Aloe Vera
• Do not use anything perfumed
• Apply antibacterial or antiseptic cream, if the area is very inflamed or red
• Keep doing so for 1-3 days
• It is very important to apply a thick layer of sunscreen if you are going out in the sun
• For the facial areas try and avoid any make up for 3-4 days
• Avoid any exfoliating products for at least 7 days
• Keep the area hydrated and moisturised
• We suggest bio oil or an aloe vera soothing lotion
• The area will start to heal and possibly flake
• It can take up to 7 days to heal
If you have any questions regarding waxing burns or need advice after your waxing treatment at Dermaesthetics clinic, please don’t hesitate to contact us.